Fourth Acquisition in Three Years Strengthens Company Presence in California and Arizona
CHICAGO (October 24, 2012) – Berlin Packaging, a leading full-service supplier of plastic, glass, and metal containers and closures, today announced the acquisition of United States Container Corporation (USCC), a California-based distributor of industrial and rigid packaging. The transaction increases Berlin Packaging’s national footprint with an expanded presence in key California and Arizona markets, providing more resources for customers seeking the company’s cost-effective packaging, inventory-management solutions, and value-added services designed to grow their business.
With the integration of USCC personnel and operations over the next few months, Berlin Packaging will have over 90 sales and warehouse locations across North America, more than 120 packaging consultants and sales managers, and annual revenues approaching $800 million and growing rapidly. Benefits for Berlin Packaging customers and suppliers include:
- Broader and deeper Berlin Packaging teams in the Los Angeles, San Francisco and Phoenix areas, providing additional sales and customer service personnel to assist in package selection, sourcing and support.
- Four new warehouses, increasing capacity and location options for customers who want to use Berlin Packaging’s inventory management programs to house package components off-site for just-in-time delivery.
- A strengthened industrial packaging portfolio including drums, pails and industrial bulk containers, leveraging USCC’s long-time specialization in this area.
- Easy online access to stock packaging via Sunburst Bottle, a USCC business unit that will now be partnered with Berlin Packaging’s Freund Container & Supply division.
- Revenue growth and streamlined processes for suppliers through a unified Berlin Packaging sales force and an even wider customer audience for new product introductions.
USCC customers will also gain the benefit of Berlin Packaging’s nationwide geographic coverage; access to specialty offerings including Qorpak lab supplies, Dangerous Goods shipping systems, and Freund Container in-stock packaging and industrial supplies; and custom packaging and graphic design, global sourcing, capital lending, and consulting services provided by Berlin Packaging at no charge in exchange for new packaging business.
The transaction marks Berlin Packaging’s fourth acquisition since the purchase of Pittsburgh-based All-Pak, Inc., in March 2010. The company acquired Chicago-based Continental Packaging Solutions in December 2010 and Connecticut-based Lerman Container in May 2012.
“Every acquisition we have made has had the same objectives: to make Berlin Packaging into a stronger supplier and to increase our geographic footprint so that even more customers have access to our solutions and services,” said Andrew T. Berlin, Chairman and CEO of Berlin Packaging. “The acquisition of USCC fits perfectly into our strategy and will yield great returns for customers, suppliers, and employees alike. We’re better positioned than ever to help customers accelerate business growth by optimizing their packaging strategies.”
USCC was founded in 1956 and is a leading distributor of industrial containers in the western states. USCC serves a wide array of markets, including food, beverage, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paint and coating, chemicals, and personal care.
“Joining forces with Berlin Packaging significantly expands the services available to our customers. I’m proud of the ways USCC will enhance Berlin, and Berlin will bring significant benefits to USCC customers. I look forward to seeing the new company rise to even greater heights,” said Jeffrey L. Levine, President and CEO of USCC. “Customers can still do business with the USCC team, now operating under the Berlin Packaging name, but with a wider array of new options for getting the most out of their packaging initiatives.”
The acquisition closed on October 23, 2012. While rebranded Berlin Packaging, the USCC offices and staff can still be reached at 800.450.8722.
Berlin Packaging is majority owned by Investcorp, an alternative investment management firm.